Dr. David Perez-Meza was born in Mexico and graduated from the Military Medical School in Mexico City after he specialized in Plastic, Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery for three years. He was an active member of the Presidential Medical Corps and in that capacity served as the personal physician for former Mexican Presidents. Dr. Perez-Meza retired with a Lt. Colonel status in 1996, after serving in the Mexican Army for 26 years.
He came to the United States for advanced training in hair restoration surgery. After training with Dr. Matt Leavitt, he joined Bosley and become a vital part of the their Physician Fellowship program in which he also trained physicians. From 1999-2007, Dr. Perez-Meza was Fellowship Instructor, Research Director and Director of Latin America for Bosley.
In 2001 he was the 1st Hispanic diplomat of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS). He is a board director and member of the oral and written examiners committee of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery. He is the Chairman of the Pro Bono Program Committee of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons (ISHRS) and member of the Live Surgery Workshop and Continual Medical Education Committees of the ISHRS.
At the 15th Annual Meeting of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons in Las Vegas, NV Sep 2007, Dr. Perez-Meza received the Platinum Follicle Award for his research and clinical studies in Hair Loss and Hair Restoration Surgery.
RESEARCH GRANT AWARDS FROM THE ISHRS
1. Role of the Growth Factors in the Wound Healing and Revascularization of the Hair Transplant Graft. 1999. Team Leader
2. Closure of the Donor Area.One-layer Vs. two-Layer Closure.2002.Team Member.
3. The Use of Autologous Growth Factors to Enhance the Wound Healing Process during Hair Transplant Surgery.Platelet Rich and Poor Plasma.2003. Team Leader
4. Dense Packing with Sagital Vs Coronal Recipient Sites. Hair Growth and Survival. 2005. Team Leader
5. Hair Graft Storage Solutions. Custodiol Vs. Saline Solution. 2005. Team Leader.
6. The Use of Laser Therapy for the Treatment of Scarring and Non-Scarring Alopecias. 2006. Team Leader
7. A Single Period, Open label Assessment of the Effects of Low Level Laser Therapy on pain and Swelling of the Donor Are following HRS.2006Team member
8. The Use of Laser Doppler Flowmetry to Evaluate Blood Flow of the Scalp in Patients with Androgenetic Alopecia. Team Leader.
Hair Transplantation and Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship, Bosley Cosmetic Surgery Center. Orlando, Fl. USA
Plastic, Aesthetic and Reconstructive Residency. General Hospital, Mexico City.
Doctor of Medicine, Military Medical School in Mexico City
International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons
International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Iberolatin-American Federation of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Society of Latin American Plastic Surgeons of the USA and Canada (SLAPS)
Mexican Association of Plastic, Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery
ABHRS- Oral and Written Examiner.
1. Complications in Hair Restoration Surgery. D. Perez-Meza and Robert Niedbalski. Clinics of Oral facial Surgery. Feb 2009
2. Low Level Laser Therapy and Hair Loss- Laser Chapter. Laser Book. Techniques in Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Series. 2008. Leavitt M. Perez-Meza D. In Press. Elsevier Pub.
3. Platelet Treatment Maximizes Hair Transplant Procedure. Cosmetic Surgery Times. April 2008.
4. Follicular Unit Graft is the Gold Standard for Androgenetic Alopecia. E. Mangubat, D. Perez-Meza and M. Barusco. Cosmetic Surgery Times April 2008
5. Hydrogen Peroxide and Wound healing. A Theorical and Practical Review for Hair Transplant Surgeons. Wasserbauer S, Perez-Meza D and Chao R. Dermatologic Surgery Journal 2008.
6. Perez-Meza D, Leavitt M and Barusco M Growth Factors Part 2: The Use of Autologous Growth Factors Platelet Rich and Poor Plasma in Hair Transplant Surgery. 2007 Hair Transplant Forum in press.
7. Perez- Meza D, Leavitt M and Mayer M. The Growth Factors, Part 1: Clinical and Histological Evaluation of the Wound Healing and Revascularization of the Hair Graft after Hair Transplant Surgery. Hair Transplant Forum Sep-Oct. 2007. Pages 173-75
8. Matt Leavitt, David Perez- Meza, Naveen Rao, Marco Barusco et ALS Finasteride 1 mg on Hair Transplantation. Derm Surg Journal. Oct 2005
9. Perez-Meza D. Wound Healing and Revascularization of the Hair Transplant Graft. Role of the Growth Factors. In Unger's Book. Hair Restoration. 4th edition 2004.
10. Mel Mayer and David Perez-Meza Temple Points. In Unger's Book. Hair Restoration. Marcel Decker 2004.
11. David Perez-Meza MD and John Vincent. Restoration Surgery for Hair System Users. National hair Journal. Vol 7. No.25. Spring 2003
12. Perez-Meza D. Ergonomics in Hair Transplant offices. Use of PerezMezA (PEMA) Handles ( 1cc and 3cc Hypodermic Syringes) for Blades and Needles for Making Sites in Hair Restoration. Hair Transplant Forum Intl. Vol. 13 (4). July-August. 2003. 397- 398.
13. Perez-Meza D. Orlando Live Surgery Workshop. 2003. Report. National Hair Journal. Vol 7. No. 25. Spring 2003.
14.Perez-Meza D. Complications in Hair Restoration Surgery. Hair Transplant Forum Intl. November-December, 2001.
15.Melvin Mayer, M.D., David Perez-Meza, Managing the Donor Area to Minimize Scarring. International Journal of Cosmetic Surgery and Aesthetic Dermatology, 3, (2), 2001. Pages 121-126
16. Stough D, Leavitt M and Perez-Meza D. Recipient Site Angulation Study, Meza.M.D. International Journal of Cosmetic Surgery and Aesthetic Dermatology, 3, (2), 2001. Pages 127-130
17. Leavitt M, Perez Meza D, Barusco M. Research Symposium 1999-2000: Clinical Update on Research Studies Performed at the WHS/ISHRS Live Surgery Workshop, International Journal of Cosmetic Surgery and Aesthetic Dermatology, 3, (2), 2001. Pages 135-149
18.Perez-Meza, D., Leavitt, M., Trachy, R. Clinical Evaluation of GraftCyte Moist Dressings on Hair Graft Viability and Quality of Healing, International Journal of Cosmetic Surgery, 6(1), 1998.
19.Leavitt, M., Perez-Meza, D. Technical Advances in Hair Restoration: An Examination of the Role of the Video Microscope, International Journal of Cosmetic Surgery, 6(1), 1998.
Surgeon of the Month for July/August 2005 - Hair Transplant Forum International
Histogen. Hair Regrowth Study. Craig Ziering DO and David Perez-Meza MD. 2008-
Pfizer. The Use of new topical solution for hair loss. 2006-2007
The Use of Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) for Speeding up the Wound Healing and Pain management after Hair Transplant Surgery. 2006-2007.
The Use of Lasercomb for the Treatment of Female Pattern of Hair loss. 2006-2007
Low Level laser Therapy (Laser Hood) for the treatment of male pattern of hair loss. 2006
Odyssey Pharmaceuticals- The Use of Custodiol Solution for the Preservation of hair Grafts. 2005.
The Use of Autologous Growth factors in the Donor and Recipient Areas after hair Restoration Surgery. 2004-2006
Merck Effects of Finasteride (1mg) on Hair Transplantation 2000-2003
Carmol pharmaceuticals. The Use of Carmol Solution for the treatment of Seborrheic Dermatitis of the Scalp.2005
Procyte Corporation. The Use of GraftCyte (Cooper Peptides) to Speed-Up the Wound Healing Process after Hair Transplant Surgery. 1998
Univision News "Diagnostic and treatment of Hair Loss"
Univision News " Laser Therapy for Hair Loss"
Orlando Live Surgery Workshop Presenter and Scientific Committee (1995- 2008) and Co-Chairman (2001-2009)
International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons- Presenter and Moderator 1999 to date.
European Society of Hair Restoration Surgery. (2000 to date)
American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery 2006, 2007, 2008